BiteSoundBite

Friday, May 20, 2005

Comments to David Neiwert

David,
OT, but I couldn't find your email address. I also wanted to ask you about the Sanatorum "nazi" quote, specifically the reaction.

It seems to me to be counter-productive and even dangerous for so many us on the left to condemn the quote BECAUSE of a comparison to the nazis.

Allow me to explain. This seems to be part of a larger pattern that I have noticed that the Republicans are able to pre-empt criticism of what they are doing by accusing the other side of precisely what the Republicans are doing.

Bush promoted a series of highly partisan hacks into important national security positions and, when any opposition came up warned the Democrats not to "play politics with national security".

In the runup to Bush nominating crazy right wing activists judges we see an enormous, well organized campaign against activists judges.

Now, with the Republican making an extrodinary power grab where they are willing to ignore all rules, precedents and tradition in order to achieve unchecked power we have Sanatorum in what I'm sure was a deliberate and rehearsed statement comparing the Democrats to nazis for trying to stand in their way.

His remarks are hypocritical, for sure, and pointing that out is fair game, but I've seen a lot of commentators on the left say things like comparing your opposition to nazis is out of bounds. It is not. I've read your excellent Pseudo Fascism essay and while you took great care to make sure it is clear how the movement conservatives differ from fascists in very big important ways, you also seem to understand that there is nothing to prevent it from happening again. When these similar tactics are used to gain power at all costs it should be pointed out (much like Robert Byrd did and took a lot of heat for it).

Well, that's all I've got. I've just been waiting to see some commentary on this paticular issue from you since you seem uniquely suited for it.
HaloScan.com - Comments

update:
I could add that Bush attacking Kerry for his military service and the smear meme of Kerry = bin Laden also fit this MO.
|| Jamison 3:04 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment